Hummus or houmous is a dip that usually comes as a starter, meze in the Lebanese and Middle Eastern cuisine. The main two ingredients it consists of are chickpeas and tahini. It is delicious, healthy, and has been loved all over the world. It is an easy recipe, and if you have boiled chickpeas or chickpeas from a can, you can prepare it very fast.
- Prep Time5 min
- Cook Time1 hr 30 min
- Total Time1 hr 35 min
- Serving Size8
- 500gr dried chickpeas (or the same quantity from a can)
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 2 cloves garlic
- lemon juice from one lemon
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt to taste
Prepare the chickpeas
Boil the chickpeas if not using canned
- Place the chickpeas in a bowl with water and leave overnight (will help boil faster)
- Drain the chickpeas and place them in a pot with fresh water and cook for about 90 minutes in medium heat until they are soft.
- Drain the chickpeas and keep 1 cup of the boiling water.
Prepare the hummus
- Add the chickpeas, lemon juice, garlic and salt in the bowl of a food processor.
- Process for 20 seconds and add the tahini. Process for another 20 seconds and add the olive oil.
- Process for another 20 seconds. If it is too thick, add some of the boiling water and process again.
- When you have a smooth and nice dip, it will be ready to serve.
Serve olive oil on top and enjoy together with pitta bread.